The venerable Orca is one of the legendary bikes of the peloton. For 2015, Orbea pulled out all the stops and completely re-made the Orca — losing some things that have been trademark for the Spanish brand. But, those losses look to be overwhelmingly superseded by the list of advancements.
2015 Orca Highlights:
- 20% frame weight reduction on OMR-level frames (900 grams – 53cm)
- 15% frame weight reduction on OMP-level frames (1,230 grams to 1050 grams)
- Refined molds to increase carbon compaction (lower weight, better frame consistencies)
- Elimination of integrated seatpost clamp
- Change to 27.2 round seatpost
- Up to 24% increase in lateral stiffness (OMR models)
- Magnet slots for popular power meters
- Comfort is increased by a whopping 62% (2.8mm increase in saddle deflection)
- Aerodynamic fork design
- OMR complete bikes are priced from $4,999 to $11,999 and OMP bikes go for $2,799 to $4,999
The Bottom Line
In the hyper-competitive grand tour performance bike category, Orbea is coming to the party with a ton of confidence and panache to match. With significant weight reductions throughout and astounding improvements in comfort, the new Orca should be on your shortlist when shopping for a race-worthy all-rounder.