Long-travel 29er’s are still hard to execute. Most manufacturers go with 27.5 wheels for anything over 130mm travel. But, some are pushing the 29-inch platform to its limits — count the Intense Carbine 29 in that camp.
For 2015, the full-carbon Carbine 29 gets a handful of refinements including:
- Entirely-new rear triangle that’s lighter and stiffer
- Dedicated 142×12 rear axle that’s no longer interchangeable
- Available Cane Creek DBinline shock
- Two new color options
Intense is well-known in the DH circuit and has nailed trailbikes for years. The Carbine 29 is a versatile enduro/trailbike built for rugged terrain. But, thanks to the VPP design, it also will pedal efficiently for all-mountain capability.
Competing against the Niner WFO 9 and the Specialized Enduro 29, the new Carbine 29 should hold its own. But, like all Intense frames, it’s not going to come cheap (~$3200).
The Carbine 29 features 140mm rear travel and is typically matched with a 160mm front fork. The Factory Build shown, includes every top-shelf component available. Check it out:
- Frame: Carbine 29 Full Mountain Carbon Front and Rear Triangle, VPP Suspension Technology, Internal Derailleur, Brake & Dropper Post Routing, ISCG 05 Mount, Downtube Flak Guard Armor, 125 -140mm adjustable travel
- Front Suspension: RockShox Pike RCT3, 29” 15QR Thru Axle, 160mm Travel
- Rear Suspension: Cane Creek DBinline Air 200×57 mm
- Hubs: 32 Hole DT Swiss 240 15mm Front Hub; 142 x 12 Rear Hub w/ XD Driver, 6 Bolt
- Rims: 32 Hole ENVE M70 Rims, Tubeless Ready
- Spokes: DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0
- Tires: Maxxis High Roller II, 29×2.3“, EXO TR
- Shifters: SRAM XX1, 11 speed
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1 X-Horizon Carbon, 11 speed
- Crankset: SRAM XX1, 30T
- Cassette: SRAM XG-1199 10-42, 11 speed
- Saddle: WTB Volt Team
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth, 31.6mm x 420mm, zero offset, 125 mm of travel
- Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar Lite Carbon 20mm x 740mm
- Headset: Cane Creek, 40, alloy cartridge
- Brakeset: Shimano XTR Hydraulic Disc
- Grips: Intense Dual Density Lock-On
The Bottom Line
Long-travel 29ers remain tough to execute. Intense is confident that the Carbine 29 will deliver the performance of 29-inch wheels in an ultra-capable platform with squish and speed for that pedally enduro course.